As established in Article 7. of the Additional Protocol (AP), a State must allow the IAEA to
conduct activities needed to achieve CA objectives. However, the IAEA
and the State can make arrangements for Managed Access of the AP in the
Examples of managed access measures may include:
- To prevent dissemination of proliferation
- To meet safety or physical protection requirements; and
- To protect proprietary or commercially sensitive
- Using a camera in lieu of access to a physically protected
- Requesting that the State take the picture for the IAEA if
there is a concern with surveillance or protection system being visible
in a photo; and
- Turning off computers and putting away papers.
The identification of the locations requiring managed access
can be specified in the Subsidiary Arrangements or declarations or
later when access is requested.